A roadmap towards the transformation of the sector by 2030
With a mission to achieve the 10 FTP Vision Targets by 2040, the Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda of the European forest-based sector for 2030 (SIRA 2030) identifies for each vision target the challenges that require significant efforts in research and innovation. Accordingly, close to 50 challenges have been identified. For each challenge, SIRA 2030 identifies important examples of research and innovation activities needed to tackle the challenge. The 10 focus points of the agenda include:
1. Sustainable forest management, biodiversity and resilience to climate change
2. Increased, sustainable wood production and mobilization
3. More added value from non-wood ecosystem services
4. Towards a zero-waste circular society
5. Efficient use of natural resources
6. Diversification of production technologies and logistics
7. Purposeful, safe jobs and links between rural and urban region
8. Renewable building materials for healthier living
9. New fibre-based products and 80 per cent lower CO2 emissions
10. Renewable energy for society
“Making Europe the world’s first climate-neutral continent is within reach but requires more innovative initiatives and research-based actions. SIRA 2030 will play an important role in reaching EU climate and energy policy objectives and the discussion on more ambitious emission reduction targets for 2030.”, says Johan Elvnert, Managing Director of FTP.
Download the Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda 2030.